If you live in an older Louisiana home, you may be wondering when it’s exactly the right time to revamp your electrical system. In the case that you want to revamp your system but you don’t know where to begin, our team at AccuTemp provides quality electrical repairs and upgrades in Baker. In most cases, we would recommend a service panel upgrade.
What is a Service Panel?
If you aren’t familiar with service panels, this is the part of your home that controls your circuit breakers and helps distribute lines of power throughout your home. If you’ve seen a box in your home that has multiple controls, this is like the service panel.
At one point or another, your service panel will near the end of its life. If you’re noticing any of the following in your home, it may be time for a service panel upgrade.
The Age of Your Home
If your house is over 20 years old and the service panel has never been updated, it’s likely time for a replacement. The amps in older service panels range from 60-100 amps, and homes that were built in the last ~20 years are equipped with panels that have 200 amps. This plays a big role in how well your system keeps up with your family’s electrical demands. If you often experience short-circuiting or other electrical-related issues, a more updated system will be more reliable.
An Abundance of Extension Cords
While extension cords can be handy once in a while, they shouldn’t be all over your home. If you’re currently relying on extension cords to keep up with your electrical needs, we are happy to install additional outlets. Doing so can also help reduce the stress to your overall system.
If you turn on your appliances only to see flickering lights, this is likely a connection to the panel. Overloaded circuits result in a diminished output of electrical force, resulting in flickering lights. The upgraded panel is better able to respond to your increased electrical needs.
Of course, if you smell something burning in your service panel or relating to an electrical outlet, you’ll want to take immediate action. The burning could be the result of your panel overheating. Our skilled team at AccuTemp will be able to step in and help as soon as possible!
Your electrical needs should always be handled by a professional. In the case that you need assistance, please contact us at AccuTemp for help.